The Main House
The first Main House was built on the property c. 1825 for Thomas Jefferson Johnson. That house was later replaced with a larger one built by Johnson’s daughter and son-in-law in 1850. The 1850 house, designed by English architect John Wind, was an eight-room frame structure that sat on the same site as the present building. That house was purchased by Cleveland businessman, Howard Melville Hanna, Sr., in 1896. In 1901, Mr. Hanna gave Pebble Hill to his daughter, Kate Hanna Ireland (Harvey). When Mrs. Harvey assumed the property, she began a restoration of the house and later, in 1914, expanded it with the addition of the Loggia wing on the east side of the structure. In 1934, a fire destroyed the house, with the exception of the Loggia wing. Construction soon began to re-build a new Pebble Hill Main House. Architect and family friend, Abram Garfield, from Cleveland, Ohio designed the current Neo Classical structure. The 3 story, whitewashed brick house includes a fully functional basement, main floor, and second floor. There are 16 bedrooms, 19 bathrooms, and 24 fireplaces.